Horse Racing Betting
When it comes to sports that people like to bet on, horse racing is right at the top. For many years racing horses was an activity for the rich but now it’s found in all countries and there are tons of off track sites that allow people to bet on the races live. It is so popular that the Kentucky Derby, the most watched horse racing event bringing in over 5 million viewers.
Betting on horse races has become so common place that all the online sports books allow you to place bets on most races from around the world. As there are many reasons on how a horse can win a race this article will help you with your strategy, explain the odds and bets available and also list some of the major events linked with horse racing around the world. Our goal is to make you look like one of the pros at your next visit to the tack or online bookie.
Top Rated Bookies for Betting on Horse Racing
Different Horse Racing Bets
First off we will discuss some of the types of bets and explain how the odds work when it comes to horse racing. There are lots of different types of bets one can place in horse racing that it gets a little confusing even for the most experienced horse racing bettors. Below are lists of bets one can place on horses along with a description of each:
- Straight Bets: Is probably the most common type of race bet. The odds are pretty good but the payouts about average. There are three kinds of Straight bets that placers can make. A win bet is on a specific horse to win the race. Next is a place bet which payouts if a person’s horse places 1st or second. Lastly, a show bet payouts if the horse a bettor wagers on finishes in the top 3. Your payouts decrease from a straight bet to a show bet but it really makes the game exciting and gives your horse a good chance of placing.
- Across the Board Bet: This is a win, show and place bet on a single horse. If your horse wins the race you get paid out on all three bets. If the horse comes second then you get paid out on two bets. If the horse places third then you will be paid out on the show bet.
- Perfecta Betting: Is a wager on what horses will place first and second.
- Quinella Bets: This wager is on two horses to place first and second in either order.
- Box Bets: Box bets are often combination wagers, allowing bettors to bet on the fastest horses but without having to specify the exact order of their finish. This sort of wager places a bet on all finishing combinations. These bets are expensive because they are easier to win.
- Trifecta Bets: A wager on three horses placing in the top three in no specific order.
- Superfecta Bet: A wager that four particular horses will finish in the top four in any order.
- Any 2 Horse Bet: A wager that two specific horses will finish in the top three, in any order.
- Double Bet: A wager on two races. Individuals pick two horses in different races, betting that each horse will win each race.
- Pick 4 Bets: A wager on four horses in four separate races that each will win their respective races. You can imagine the odds are pretty high on this one.
- Other bet types for horsse racing that are popular are Yankee Bets and Lucky15 Bets. These of course aren’t unique to horse racing and are more of an accumulator type bet. Red our dedicated guides for more in-dept info on them.
Major Horse Races
Kentucky Derby – This race is one of the most prestigious and most bet on races in the world of horse racing. It is held at the Churchill Downs annually in May in Kentucky. The winner of the event takes home the Triple Crown.
Belmont Stakes – Happens 1 month after the Preakness and is the last leg in the race for the Triple Crown.
Preakness – This event is held after the Kentucky Derby and is the second leg of the Triple Crown.
Breeders Cup – A invitation event only for the horses takes place annually in October with horses that are 3 years old or older.
Horse Betting Strategy
When betting online or with a race track it’s always good to have some idea on who is going to win the race and who will not. It is not a sure fire way but we can help you become a better bettor then the rest of the people out there.
Tip 1 – Do your homework. When betting on horses it’s good to know what the weather is going to be like, what the track conditions will be, previous results of other races, competitions and injuries. By learning all about your horse and how it preforms will give you a great chance of knowing if it will be a winner for the day or not. With Google and other internet sources like our site you can find out which horse is your best bet right up till the race time.
Tip 2 – Look at your odds and this will help you determine what horse will win for straight up betting. By playing safe when you first start wagering, bet on the horses with the lowest odds to show or place. This will help you get a good safe introduction into the sport before you start betting on the Quinelles and Trifectas. All online sports books will have the odds placed next to each name which will help you with your wagering.
Horse racing and betting can be very fun. Be sure to use our tips for whenyou bet online or at the track. We hope this was helpful in your quest to betting online. If you have any questions on online betting check out our review pagers on some of the best online bookies out there. Below is a bit of history on horse racing if you are interested.
* Horse racing is a sport that is centuries old.
* In 2008 gambling on racing generated about $115 billion USD.
* In 1665 the first race track was developed in Long Island.
* Thoroughbred, Endurance and Quarter are the three types of racing one can bet on.
* All online sports books offer horse racing.